The pier was designed by Frederick Foster and opened in 1846. It
was originally constructed of wooden piles and iron girders but
was rebuilt in 1872 after sustaining storm damage. In 1895,
further work extended the pier to 570 feet and a 2ft 6inch gauge
baggage line was added.
A pavilion was built at the end of the 19th century and the pier
was served by the steamers of the Liverpool & North Wales
Steamship Co. for many years. It was particularly popular in the
summer months with services to and from Menai Bridge, Llandudno
and Liverpool, provided by the steamers ‘La Marguerite’, ‘St
Elvies’ and ‘Snowdonia’.
After World War Two, there was some deterioration and, with the
decline of passenger services to Liverpool, it was decided to
demolish the unsafe T-head structure. Beaumaris Town Council
restored the pier at a cost of £15,000 in the 1960s and ownership
passed to the Isle of Anglesey Borough Council in 1974. Repair
work was undertaken to stop deterioration and there was an annual
budget for replacement of decaying timbers.
The shoreward end is of stone and includes a gift kiosk. There are
seats, a shelter and angling facilities at the seaward end.
Visitors can cross to Puffin Island, travel down the Menai Strait
or try sea fishing from 3 dual purpose angling/pleasure cruise
boats operating from the pier.
In August 2010, Anglesey County Council approved plans for the
refurbishment of Beaumaris Pier, to include the replacement of
decking, the reinstatement of the pier to its former width, the
refurbishment of the kiosk and shelter, and the provision of a
landing pontoon. Anglesey council sees the work as a way to secure
the long-term future of the pier after recent deterioration.Coastal Environment Project Beaumaris Pier
Work began in March 2011 and was completed in March 2012 for the official opening on 29 June 2012.
The redeveloped Pier was widened to its original width with the provision of new hardwood decking,
a refurbished shelter and kiosk as well as the installation of a landing pontoon and connecting link
span bridge enabling greater vessel accessibility to the Pier from the Menai Strait.
The redevelopment of the Pier significantly improved structural integrity, functionality and accessibility
and was designed to help capitalise on the Pier’s economic contribution to the local and regional economy.
However, in August 2013, problems surfaced with the management of the pier. Maintenance was not being carried out satisfactorily,
the pier had been allowed to deteriorate and access difficulties remained. And in September 2013, it was reported that
there wer still defects in the pier's construction which needed to be addressed.
A Powerpoint presentation showing the redevelopment of the pier has kindly been provided by Anglesey County Council.
Click on the link below to see the presentation. Please note this is a large file (19.2Mb) and so make takes some time to load.