Teignmouth Grand Pier
Work began in 1865 and the 700 foot structure opened in 1867.
Designed by J.W.Wilson, its construction incorporated cast-iron
It was later purchased by Mr
Arthur Ryde Denby who planned to relocate the pier in Paignton.
However, because of structural difficulties, a new pier was built
at Paignton and Teignmouth was restored, re-opening on July 24th
Improvements included a 260
foot pavilion at the shoreward end and development of the seaward
end. Work on the Castle pavilion was completed in 1890. During the
summer months, excursion steamers called on a daily basis.
In the early 1960s, a bridge
connecting the landing stage to the rest of the structure was
removed, reducing the pier's length by 75 feet.
New steel piling was inserted
under all the pier buildings. A groyne scheme caused the
undermining of many of the old wooden piles and additional work
became necessary at the shoreward end to repair the damage.
The shoreward end
pavilion housed shops and amusements, whilst the rebuilt deck had
fairground rides and a go-kart track on the site of the old Castle
pavilion, which had been destroyed by fire many years earlier.
In February 2014, the pier was closed after being
badly damaged by huge waves and strong winds, with repairs estimated in
the hundreds of thousands of pounds. The pier eventually reopened in July,
with new retail units and new machines having been provided.